Date(s) - 10/17/2020 - 12/31/2022
IV Therapy and Skills
a metro midwifery skills workshop
In this workshop, you will learn the ins and outs (get it! haha!) for successful IV placement and therapy. This course will cover:
- Basic principles of venipuncture and intravenous therapy, including initiation and discontinuation of IV therapy
- Purpose of IV fluid therapy
- Safe infusion and infection control practices, including complications of IV insertion and therapy
- Equipment and supplies, including selection of appropriate solution for IV therapy
- Appropriate sites for IV insertion, including an overview of the anatomy and physiology
- Procedure and techniques
- Rate of administration
- Care of equipment
- Proper disposal of hazardous and other contaminated materials
- Student practice and demonstration
While IV stations are occupied, we will also be set up to practice blood draws while you wait!
Classes are arranged based on interest. Three people must be registered in order to schedule a class.
Workshop is 6 hours long. Class size is severely limited due to COVID. Participants will be expected to wear a mask during the workshop.
Six MEAC continuing education contact hours available.
DORA requires a MEAC approved IV course within 6 months of application for the IV authority. Certificate and DORA form will be provided at class completion. The applicant is responsible for applying for the state authority.
Course is taught by Gina Gerboth, MSM, MPH, RM, CPM, IBCLC.
Fee: $200 (includes supplies)
Cancelation policy: Because class size is severely limited, refunds are not provided within 2 weeks of workshop dates. However, if you must cancel, you will be allowed to enroll in the next course as space permits (timing and scheduling not guaranteed).
*Due to COVID, all of our workshops have undergone serious modifications. Pharmacology may be taught virtually (synchronous instruction on Zoom). For in-person workshops, class size is severely limited and masks will be required. Due to the smaller class sizes, cost has increased in order to secure a back-up midwife. In addition to these workshops, student workshops (for these and other topics) can be arranged as desired. Student workshops will have the same COVID restrictions, but costs will be lower. However, they may be cancelled in the event of a birth.
Bookings are closed for this event.