Navigating family dynamics is always complex, but never more so than during holiday gatherings. There are a number of areas that are worthy of consideration in order to make your holiday season as enjoyable as possible.
Topics we discuss in this week’s podcast include:
- Simplify where you can.
- Take unsolicited advice with a grain of salt and stand firm in your parenting decisions.
- Consider whether it’s worth your effort to educate family members versus just smiling, nodding, and thanking the critic for their concern.
- Practice nursing in front of the mirror in order to get comfortable nursing in public or in front of family.
- Consider how much passing the baby around you’re comfortable with and feel free to take your baby back.
- Beware of accidental holiday weaning.
- Don’t skip feedings or hold baby off while busy.
- Consider developing some pre-set scripts to answer criticism.
- If traveling, take breaks and stop frequently.
- Stay hydrated.
- Safety first–keep in mind family may not have babyproofed homes and someone needs eyes on the kiddos at all times.
- Slow down and enjoy.
- Know your power–you are the mama!
We hope you’ll tune in and listen to this week’s podcast for tips for enjoying this season in your new role as a parent!