For this week’s podcast we talk with our listeners about boundaries for midwives: why they’re necessary, how to establish them, and ideas for making boundaries work while still being accessible to our clients.
Some of the points we hit on include:
- The importance of setting boundaries for sustainability
- Setting boundaries early in your practice
- Lack of boundaries and family emergencies
- Ideas for phone routing
- Methods of communicating with your clients
- Establishing work hours
- How a group practice allows for better boundary setting
- Taking time off when you’re sick
- COVID considerations
- Clients’ understanding and wishes for our wellbeing
- Resentment as a consequence of lack of boundary setting
We know that this is is a strangely difficult topic for lots of midwives, but it is so important!