Date(s) - 10/17/2020 - 12/31/2022
Pharmacology for Midwives
a metro midwifery skills workshop
Join us for our 8-hour workshop, which will prepare midwives and student midwives to be able to administer medications per Colorado’s suturing authority.
This course includes information and practice on:
- Mechanism of pharmacological action
- Routes of administration
- Medication use during pregnancy
- Medication use during lactation
- Preferred medications for Colorado midwives, including the indications, therapeutic effects, side effects/adverse reactions, contraindications; incompatibilities/drug interactions; and drug administration for each medication.
- Expectant vs. active management of the 3rd stage
- Administration of medications through Injection, including hands-on practice
- Informed consent and refusal of medication or treatment
- Medication errors
- Transport guidelines and procedures
- Questions, answers, discussion, and conclusion
Classes are arranged based on interest. Three people must be registered in order to schedule a class.
Workshop is 8 hours long and may be held in person or virtually. In-person class size is severely limited due to COVID. Participants will be expected to wear a mask during the workshop.
Eight MEAC continuing education contact hours available.
DORA requires a MEAC approved medications course within 6 months of application for the IV authority. Certificate and DORA form will be provided at class completion. The applicant is responsible for applying for the state authority.
Course is taught by Gina Gerboth, MSM, MPH, RM, CPM, IBCLC.
Cancelation policy: Because class size is severely limited, refunds are not provided within 2 weeks of workshop dates. However, if you must cancel, you will be allowed to enroll in the next course as space permits (timing and scheduling not guaranteed).
*Due to COVID, all of our workshops have undergone serious modifications. Pharmacology may be taught virtually (synchronous instruction on Zoom). For in-person workshops, class size is severely limited and masks will be required. Due to the smaller class sizes, cost has increased in order to secure a back-up midwife. In addition to these workshops, student workshops (for these and other topics) can be arranged as desired. Student workshops will have the same COVID restrictions, but costs will be lower. However, they may be cancelled in the event of a birth.